NZB3: The Whig

4/18/2006

 

The Whig


Bugger.

Blair 'The Whig' Mulholland has defected to the National Party. Aaron Bhatnager is rubbing his hands together in glee.

Why? Why? Why has this happened?

For some time now he has been dissing the way The ACT Party does its business, particularly Rodney Hide. As a libertarian he believes the wider principled message is being drastically sidelined by the many spotfire liberties Hide seems to be focused on. Also, his new co-blogger is Robin Booth and he has been acting like an absolute prick talking down ACT with most every contribution to that blog. Never the less, my jaw dropped to learn of the switch- and for good reason.

In late 2002, early 2003 I'd about had it. My own political party, The Libertarianz, was finally starting to look like it was going nowhere. Worse, it didn't even want to go anywhere. So, I took a short stroll down to ACT HQ in Newmarket and up the stairs to see what my alternative was.

And who pops out to greet me but The Whig himself?

To start with he eyed up the radical libertarian in the offices as if I might go Jihadi at any moment. But I wasn't there to be provoked into hysterics, but to listen and ask questions and to get a feel for what made the ACT people tick. Whig made ACT attractive to me through his clarity and intelligence and ability to listen. Based on his face at the door I decided, after weighing things up, to go ACT. Libertarianz is more principled on paper but principle is hollow and insincere if not put into practical action. But that's what I saw ACT doing- acting! So I defected.

Whig gave me Roger Douglas' books to take home, Unfinished Business and a photocopied There's Got To Be A Better Way. We talked for a while and I promised to return the books when I was done with them...., a promise I'll keep one of these days too.

So, when I think ACT I think Whig. The party can't be totally buggered while someone like him supports and believes in it.

So much for that.

Comments:
Hang in there Rick. ACT is at a low ebb, but there is still plenty of life in the party. We probably have the most liberal board in the party's history, plus a great crop of future leaders coming thru ACT on Campus. I wish Blair well in the Nats. I think he and Graham Watson will have a positive effect on the Nats and could be good bridge builders when we have ACT fully back on track.
 
Well Trevor, if this new leadership can't make it work then that about wraps it up for a libertarian party for New Zealand.

No worries. Can't loose.
 
Big fucking deal, he'll be back if he thinks it suits him.
 
Ah Pam, you can't relate! You've never had a cause worth believing in. :)

I'd vote Murray! Let's do that, I even have a slogan. I swear I saw this on a billboard today driving on the Citylink here in Melbourne AND I thought of Murray! It's true! Slogan: 'Eat, drink, and be Murray'
 
He may just be on a sabbadical (?sp)?
 
Post a Comment



 Weblog

Archives

February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006  

                                   _  _ 
                                 _/ \_|\   Rick Giles
                                /       \                 bardan@clear.net.n z
                               |         | Melbourne 2006                       \|/
                                \__'~\__/                                       -o-
                                       o  http://rick.orcon.net.nz            /|\