NZB3: ACT and Army

4/21/2006

 

ACT and Army

Rodney Hide blogs that half of the ACT parliamentary team are signing up for the Territorials. Awesome. Tomorrow, Saturday, is open day in Australia (or Victoria, at the least) for Army Reserves. I'm not doing anything tomorrow so I might pop along and see what it's about.

Earlier in the week my old local MP (Waimakariri), Ron Mark, and my present local electorate MP (Epsom), Rodney, struck out at the Army News. The Army newspaper has been running a horoscope, paying an outsider $75 a pop for it. I think it has been going for 16yrs and cost $20,000 to date.

I just take if for granted that Ron and Rodney are right, obviously. But this is controvesial so I should blog something about it. It's hard to do that because I'm very tired from
a) Working very hard
b) Being shocked by working hard after months of...well of not
c) Not getting much time to sleep
d) Being shocked by less sleep time after months of sleeping in

Brain on low power. Must struggle through...

Lets go:

Rick: The Defense budget is for defence, if you please!
Giles: But entertainment is a valuable munition in any army!

Rick: Horoscopes aren't entertainment. And they derive their false value from false pretense.
Giles: Maybe this one is different.

Rick: Well I bet I could write a great one. Inside army jokes, topical and witty references to army personnel and happenings. That would be worth it. But this is just regular Woman's Weekly bollocks. You have to give it the onus of the doubt.
Giles: Probably you're right and it does just suck. But it didn't cost much.

Rick: Cost?! Every penny needs to be accounted for, particularly as this is stolen money. Every time the government spends money on something you gotta ask yourself: Would I kill my kindly grey-haired old Mother for this?
Giles: Yes, you got me there.

Rick: Of course I do. And isn't it in the defense White Paper statement, or something, that the army is supposed to live up to the capability standard of being able to step into any civilian role? They can write their own!
Giles: So they should too!

Rick: Good thing Ron is looking out for us.
Giles: And Rodney too.

Rick: People should be thankful.
Giles: They lack your virtue.

Archives

February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006  

                                   _  _ 
                                 _/ \_|\   Rick Giles
                                /       \                 bardan@clear.net.n z
                               |         | Melbourne 2006                       \|/
                                \__'~\__/                                       -o-
                                       o  http://rick.orcon.net.nz            /|\