NZB3: Dissident

2/26/2006

 

Dissident


Speaking of nagging music
, two days ago a song came into my head that I neither listen to nor even know. This happens to me all the time and I'm not good for much unless I get hold of the offending music and listen it out of me.

But that's with songs I'm familure with, this time my subconscious mind has prodded me into one I can't even remember hearing before! But I knew the riff and I knew it was Pearl Jam and with a bit of concentration knew it was called "Dissident". I didn't know any of the lyrics, let alone what they ment or why I had to have it. But I've just figured it all out.

Yesterday I downloaded Limewire, and through that the track in question. That solved my nagging trouble but didn't explain what my brain was trying to tell me. Only when I downloaded the lyrics did it all suddenly come together and make perfect sense.


Oh, a dissident, a dissident is here
And to this day, she’s glided on
Always home but so far away
Like a word misplaced
Nothing said, what a waste
When she had contact...with the conflict...
There was meaning, but she sold him to the state
She had to turn around
When she couldn’t hold...she folded...
A dissident is here

This is a song for Faye Dunaway in The Thomas Crown Affair when she's faced with the cruel alternative of either betraying her duty or betraying Steve McQueen. It's a song about the look on her face when she folded, selling the man she loved to the state and realising she had lost him forever.

And that's half the reason I've got Dissident in my head, because I watched the film last week. The other half is because I've been thinking back to how the last Census changed my life forever in 2001. I was the dissident then and I was the one sold to the state. So I left that town.

I'm not done talking about the Census yet.

Archives

February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006  

                                   _  _ 
                                 _/ \_|\   Rick Giles
                                /       \                 bardan@clear.net.n z
                               |         | Melbourne 2006                       \|/
                                \__'~\__/                                       -o-
                                       o  http://rick.orcon.net.nz            /|\